Old November 13th 03, 12:08 PM
Ed Price

"TchrMe" wrote in message
Thanks Bill and Ed for responding. Ed, it is a white fibrous compressed
material. Now, true it could be other things but my educated guess is

asbestos.
What else would look like that and appear on top of a fiberboard bottom

panel?
No matter, I assumed the worse case and sealed it. If it is anything else,
better safe than sorry. Oh by the way, the radio is recapped and working
well.73, Mike KF6KXG

Well, that does sound suspicious. I have seen many early auto radios use a
sheet of amber film on the inside of the cover plates, but this is clearly
plastic. Some tube consumer radios had insulation sheets made out of a
resinous fabric (cambric), but I never saw one of those degraded to look
white and to shed dust.

The only hazard with the asbestos is inhalation of the dust particles
(fibers), so bonding them in place is a good precaution. I don't think you
have anything to worry about.

Ed
WB6WSN