Old May 11th 05, 10:17 PM
John Smith

Joel:

Well, great men have come and gone, what are some younger names which will
be taking on these challenges of the future? A history lesson does not
serve as innovation or chat about new ideas which are needed...

I don't expect people in their 50's on up to be the innovators, it is the
younger crowd who has been educated in universities, with access to the
newest state of the art labs available which will be taking on these
projects--that is a given, I never though different... if you didn't have
access to a computer by jr. college, you are probably not in this group of
new engineers...

The men in their 20s to 30s are the ones with the access to industry and
design labs where these ideas can be taken to... the ones on the cutting
edge--the ones able to introduce new ideas and get them looked at... the
ones to build one and take it around to demonstrate...

I was just hoping there were some here, maybe not...

Warmest regards,
John
--
Sit down the six-pack!!! STEP AWAY!!! ...and go do something...

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in message
| "John Smith" wrote in message
| I have watched a hundred intellectuals fail where one brave man
succeeds...

| Yeah, but for every brave man's successs, there are thousands of failures
too.
| :-)
|
| Einstein said, to the effect--genius is 1% inspiration and 99%
| perspiration...
|
| I think that was Edison? Einstein said something like, "Creativity is
more
| important than knowledge," which unfortunately a lot of people seem to
want to
| interpret as "Hence, knowledge is unimportant," which is not at all what
he
| meant.
|
| In the end, such a radio is not only desirable, it is exactly what is
| needed... no argument will change that...
|
| Well John, there's nothing stopping you from desgining and building the
thing.
| Even in the post-Internet boom era here, though, you'll probably have a
much
| easier time finding venture capital from a bunch of businessmen than from
| bunch of engineers.
|
| I do think it's true that, in various areas, amateur radio now plays
| technological "catch up" to commercial technologies. IMO, this is a
| reflection of the fact that (unlike 40 years ago) designing a "modern
radio"
| (such as a cell phone) costs literally tens to hundreds of millions of
dollars
| and hundreds of man years. There's just no way companies like Icom,
Yaesu,