Old May 13th 05, 07:31 AM
Josh

Default same songs, new band - legal questions

I have a new band, with all new musicians. We are playing some of the
same songs, that I wrote, from my last band. Do any of the musicians in
my previous project(s) have any legal claim over the performance or
sale of these songs as recorded by my new band? I ask because my
ex-bass player sent me this email:

"hey, i heard you guys playing a NEW tune,while smoking outside our
studio last night. not bad at all, only one slight problem though...,
you may have copyrights to the songs, but those are my bass lines and i
have already spoken to my attorney,and he suggested that i try this
email first,to nicely ask you not to play anymore of my bass lines.
under the law,no matter if you own the copyrights to the songs, those
are my bass lines.i don't have to have them protected by copyrights,
just simply have a recording with me as the bass player on the cd.if
you for some reason don't agree... maybe you should look it up... it's
the law... and i don't appreciate being ripped off that way...people
around town are" listening " for me..this doesn't have to get
ugly...just change the bass lines ....no problemo..."

Ironic because he always complained that I told him what to play and
wrote his basslines for him... sigh