Old May 17th 05, 12:22 AM

Jim Leder wrote:
I've had a love affair with my old Kenwood TS-450sat since I bought

my
first one in the early 90's, but with Dayton looming, finally I got

the go
ahead from the XYL to upgrade. I've narrowed my choice down to a new

Kenwood
TS-2000 or a new IC-746 Pro. I know the features of both quite well,

but I
have read and heard a lot about the IC-746's problems with the IC-151

protection diodes and ESD (electro static discharge). I've seen what

Icom
has on their website about this problem, but wonder what current

users think
about it. I know there are a lot of IC-746 Pro owners out there, as

well as
TS-2000 owners, but I really would like to hear some HONEST opinions

on this
particular problem with the 746. Do many/any of you have repeat

problems
with the infamous 'no transmit' on the IC-746 due to the ESD issue?

Has this
problem been over blown? Is it still a problem, even though Icom

claims they
will repair it and already have it solved on the newer models?
I recently had the opportunity to play with an IC-746 and I was

impressed.
A good friend has a TS-2000 and I will get to play with it this week.

But I
am now looking for HONEST opinions on both units, especially the 746.
Thanks!

The 746 Pro certainly has some issues but the TS-2000 has one of the
worst front ends you can stick yourself with.

See http://www.sherweng.com/presentation.html

***** Jim Leder *****
IBM retiree since 1999
http://home.fuse.net/k8cxm