Old May 18th 05, 07:01 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

fredtv wrote:
Radio & Records reports that KXOL in Los Angeles wanted to changed it's
Spanish AC to a more pop presentation. But Emmis-- who owns their tower--
put in the lease contract they can veto programming they feel will hurt
their stations-- in this case Power 106.

Doesn't the FCC frown on one station controlling the programming of another.
Or did that go by the wayside with dereg?

I've not read the R&R story, but judging from "...who owns their
tower..." it doesn't look to me like Emmis actually controls KXOL's
programming. KXOL is free to go ahead with the "more pop presentation",
as long as they find somewhere else to put their antenna.

47CFR73.239 does prohibit a FM licensee from using its control over a
transmission site to "...unduly restrict competition among FM broadcast
stations.". As I understand it, that would, for example, prohibit Clear
Channel from obtaining an exclusive lease over the top of the Sears
Tower which would prevent Infinity stations from locating there.

However, the KXOL site doesn't seem to be "peculiarly suitable" for an
FM transmitter. Certainly they would have the option of moving
elsewhere if they're not willing to abide by Emmis' dictates.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66