Old May 19th 05, 04:06 PM

Default Ping: Pete KE9OA -PIN vs shottcky diodes

Pete KE9OA wrote:

If you ordered Schottky diodes, you ordered the wrong type. You need
PIN
diodes. 1N5767s would do the trick.
It is worthwhile to change the audio coupling caps.

Pete
I haven't ordered anyhting yet, due to house and auto
insurance falling due, I have limited non essenital
spending until June. And the first thing I plan to buy
is a 455.1 500Hz CW filter....

I have read and re-read the Kiwa article many times in in the
last few months. I had read about the Si to IN diode swap for
the 8ve filters several years ago and had the good luck to be
given 24 HP PIN diodes by a grad student. I had forgoten that
I had even made the mod unitl after I purchased another R2000
from Frank C. And I was puzzled by the greater distortion
in the AM band when listening to stations withen a few KHz of a
power house. I initially worte it off as a result of Frank's removal
of the LF/MW 1-dB attenuator. It wasn't until I opened my R2000
for a more complete logic IC bypass mod that I saw the HP PINs
and remembered that I had changed to them.

A mind is a terrible thing to misplace

Any Idea why Kiwa spec'ed PINs for one switch and Shottkys for the
other?

And any links to improved "low distortion" diode detectors,

And any links to any "simple" synch detectors?

Feel free to email me at
r2000swler
at
hotmail
dot
com

Sorry for so many questions bunched in one post.

Terry