Old September 2nd 03, 10:18 PM
Dr. Slick

"David Robbins" wrote in message ...
From 'Fields and Waves in Communications Electronics' by Ramo Whinnery and
Van Duzer. section 1.16 and 1.23

start with positive moving wave plus negative moving wave = total to load
for both voltage and current, simple kirchoff's law summations at the
junction of the coax and load.
Vp+Vn=Vload (1)
Ip-In=Iload (2)
note that their convention is that current moving to the 'right' is positive
so the reflected 'negative' current wave is moving left which gives the
negative sign on the second term.

now use ohm's law to rewrite (2)

Vp/Zo - Vn/Zo = Vload/Zload (3)

I believe this line (3) is only true if Zo is purely real.

If Zo is complex, i don't think you can apply
this.

then solving from (1) and (3) to get Vn/Vp

multiple (3) by Zload on both sides
Vp*Zload/Zo - Vn*Zload/Zo = Vload
substitute this for Vload in (1) to get:
Vp+Vn = Vp*Zload/Zo - Vn*Zload/Zo
group terms:
Vp-Vp*Zload/Zo = -Vn-Vn*Zload/Zo
factor:
Vp(1-Zload/Zo) = Vn(-1-Zload/Zo)
divide out terms
(1-Zload/Zo)/(-1-Zload/Zo) = Vn/Vp
multiply by Zo/Zo
(Zo-Zload)/(-Zo-Zload) = Vn/Vp
mulitply by -1/-1
(Zload-Zo)/(Zload+Zo) = Vn/Vp

therefo
rho = Vn/Vp = Zload-Zo/Zload+Zo

what could be simpler... apply kirchoff's and ohm's laws and a bit of
algebra.

Nice job David, nobody has done this yet. And done with variables,
as it needs to be done, and not with specific numbers.

I think this is correct for Zo is purely real.

I'd like to see the derivation for the conjugate equation,
which i have seen in Kurokawa, Besser, and the ARRL, among
other sources.

Slick