Old May 20th 05, 11:23 PM
Bill Carty

thank you all,

you gave given me some stuff to chew on.

I can't say that I like solving puzzels, but I do like a challenge. And
this is somethign to do when there's noting else going on when I get up at
oh dark thirty and can't get back to sleep.

Now I have to find a way to get or write a capture program for when the
computer talks to the scanner. That's not going to be fun.

Although I didn't look hard for it, I would have thought some one at the
Hamvention this weekend would hav had it. Maybe they did and I just didn't
see it.

(Oh the hamvention is the annual gathering of ham radio and genral
communication hobbist at Dayton's Harra arena. I didn't find much but I was
also being a scrooge with the money I took.)

SO I guess it time to start googling for a program to start watchign the com
port traffic!

Thanks again guys.

Bill Carty

"Bill Carty" wrote in message
Thank you! This has been out there for a week and you are the first one to
respond to it.

I thought someone who might be fighting with a program for their scanner
might out of sheer frustration want to discuss their problems and maybe
the scanner community here might have some answers. I guess not.

Yes most people are not programers, but the one thing I have learned about
hanging out here on the news groups that every once in a while some one
who is not an ego maniac, and wishes to shre knowledge will share it
either on programing, or RC car building, or like here sharing scanner
information.

But thanks for the response.

I figured it might be an active x type deal though I still am learning
visual basic, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to do it.

The key is to find out how the data is written to the scanner. It is most
likely a simple csv file that is loaded into a memory location, but I
havn't been able to figure out how to talk to my pro 95. Or for that
matter my bc 780.

I am going to the ham vention on friday the 20th in dayton. Who know
maybe some one will have the information I need.

Oh well time to think about how to make the com port on the computer talk
to the PRO 95 to get the codes.

Thank you again.

"Zombie Wolf" wrote in message
Posts like this rarely evoke much resonse, since most people are not
programmers. There is little, if any standardization of radio interfaces,
which makes this type of programming more radio-specific.

The first thing you would need to do is work out an interface in net for
the
computer-radio linkup. An ActiveX control would probably be used for
this,
as it can also provide visual feedback, and will simplify the rest of the
program to a degree.Optocom has put forth a standard for their stuff.
Here
is a short excerpt.

=
ABOUT CI-V
=

The serial interface on the OptoScan456(tm) conforms to the Icom CI-V
interface standard. The CI-V interface is an asynchronous, half-duplex,
TTL serial interface connected in a wire-OR (bussed) configuration.
Several
different devices can be connected to the bus simultaneously, and each
device has its own unique address. Software developers are strongly
encouraged to obtain a copy of the Icom Communication Interface - V
Reference Manual from Icom, Inc. for detailed information on the CI-V
interface protocol.

You will need to program for database access and logging, of course, I
will
leave the details of that to you. An Access database would be nice....

Other functions are outlined in the CI-V document mentioned here. This
would
probably be enough to get you started, at any rate, on a program for
radios
that use this particular standard.

"Bill Carty" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

I am interested in writing programs for the programing of scanners.

I have windows visual basic net so I don't have to buy a program to
build
the build program. So that's one step completed.

So my questions are this

where does one find the command set scanners that can be written into a
program? Do manufacturers offer the command set up? Or does it have to

be
hacked?

At one time I had the command codes for my bearcat 895, I forgot where I

go
them. Been trying to find the codes for a pro 95 and have hit a wall.

Should I come up with something I am willing to share it but I need to

find
the code somewhere for the scanner(s) and then write the code.

For me its mostly a way to have something to do.

any guidence that any of you are willing to share will be welcomed

Bill Carty