Old May 22nd 05, 09:30 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

I am interested, did you use fine reader for scanning or another? And, did
you use adobe to create the .pdf or other free software? Is the .pdf text
searchable (in text format) or not (in graphic format?)

The work was done using only noncommercial (freely-distributable)
software tools... the SANE scanning software, NETPBM image-processing
programs, The GIMP for manual image processing, and GPL GhostScript to
create the PDFs. I wrote a bunch of custom scripts to perform some
higher-level functions (e.g. automatically levelling, centering, and
"bleaching" the pages).

The text is not searchable. I don't have access to OCR software which
can do the job with acceptable accuracy, nor the time required to
proofread the whole book and correct the inevitable errors. The PDF
text is all in graphic format.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO