Old May 22nd 05, 08:13 PM
Fred McKenzie

In article , "K. Hastings"
wrote:

I'm looking at a used TS-450S with Serial Number 30300519 that seems in very
good shape.

Kevin-

I've also been looking for a TS-520/530, and was hoping someone would
respond to your question with a web reference to its history. It would be
nice to find a 530 with the built-in DC supply, if they exist.

As far as the TS-450 is concerned, I have the TS-690, which is a TS-450
with Six Meters. I purchased the optional internal tuner with mine, as
well as the TCXO high stability oscillator, the CTCSS tone generator and
three additional filters. Does the one you are considering have any such
options?

I forget how old it is, but it was bought soon after it came out. I have
had absolutely no problems with it. I recently replaced the CMOS battery
because of age, not because it had failed. My only complaints might be
that use of the noise limiter seems to introduce distortion originating
from strong foreign broadcast stations, and that the CTCSS tones are
jumper-selected.

The TS-450/690 was replaced by the TS-570/570S several years ago, which
was joined later by the TS-2000. The recent TS-480 is sort-of a cross
between the TS-570 and the TS-50, but could be considered a replacement
for the TS-570. If you are looking for a good used Kenwood, I'd recommend
also considering the TS-570.

73, Fred, K4DII