Old May 23rd 05, 02:20 AM
Fred W4JLE

A cheap and effective solution is to purchase a Van Gordon 130 foot all band
dipole $29.95 with 100 feet of ladder line.

Purchase an additional 100 foot of 450 ohm ladderline $12.00.

find 7 4PDT relays and 2 digitran decimal to binary switches.

use the relays to switch in 1,2,4,8,10,20, and 40 feet of additional ladder
line. cut 10 feet off of the 100 feet that came with the antenna. Now use
the relays to add length as needed to tune. For example to tune your 4.5
would require switching in an additional 78 feet.

E-Mail me and I will send you a chart of frequency Vs what you need to
switch in. I found the relays for a buck a piece and the digital rotary
switches for 3 bucks. feed with your choice of coax with ferrite beads to
act as a balun and your good to go.

Less than $50.00 and I cover nearly DC to Daylight, no tuner and worst SWR
anywhere 1.4:1
"C. J. Clegg" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 May 2005 17:41:22 -0400, "Tam/WB2TT"
wrote:

I ran an EZNEC simulation on a pair of crossed dipoles at 3.7 and 4.5

MHz,
with a 7.2 MHz inverted V below the 3.7. Not good. The 7.2 works OK, but

the
4.5 really messes up the 3.7. Among other things the impedance at 3.7 and
4.5 MHz is about 115 Ohms. I ran the simulation at 50 feet above average
ground. If the 4.5 is for receive only, I would forget about it, and take
the 10:1 SWR that the 80 meter dipole gives you.

Good evening, Tam.

Thanks for running the simulation for me. Your results don't surprise
me much.

(I'm going to have to get that EZNEC program and play with it for a
while ... thanks to all for mentioning it.)

The 4.5-MHz antenna will be used for transmitting as well as
receiving, and so I need to get the SWR down to something reasonable.

I guess there's no reason why I can't just put up a separate dipole
for 4.5 MHz and the crossed dipoles, fed with a single coax, for 80
and 40.

I could also (and I might...) just put up an 80-meter dipole fed with
ladder line and use a tuner, though I was trying to avoid the tuner.

Thanks (to you and to all) for saving me a bunch of work. :-)

CJ