Old November 30th 03, 09:58 PM
ckh

On Sun, 30 Nov 3903 19:22:21, "garigue" wrote:

RME collectors? Collectors who specialize in the last tube rigs
of dying companies?

You name it people collect it ....like the Bible says ...call no man a fool
or something to that effect.

I'm trying to figure out why "common" tube transceivers go for a
song and a half dozen small hunks of roughly machined brass and
steel go for a hundred bucks or more. Why do J-38's cost more
than some Vibroplex keys?

Supply and demand .... also one can store many more keys than rigs. My wife
is always on me with the "you don't use it so get rid of it lecture". I
shake my head at some of the "key crap" and prices on e-Bay.

OK but this doesn't explain why a J-38, which must exist in the
hundreds of thousands is worth about as much as the more common
Vibroplex. I have a "Champion" which isn't any great machine
either.

Why do "catalin" radios sell for thousands of dollars, more than a
KWM-2?

Why do guys put up with owning any number of sports cars from the 50s and
60s with their inherent problems when they could get a Miata and be trouble
free? People like to tinker and this is certainly is a tinkerer's
hobby-endeavor-service.

I think the other fellow nailed the "catalin" issue. It's not a
radio, it's an investment.

I do understand the psychological value of a vintage-rig. I'm
restoring a couple myself. I simply do not understand the price
progression.

I was licensed in 1963. Here are my recollections of prices:
about
1963 Now Mult

J-38 a buck or two. 50 50
Vibroplex $25? 100 4
KWM-2 $1,100 1,100 1
Corvette $4,500 45,000 10
Pepsi .10 1.50 15
Drake 2B,2BQ 350 200 .6

I'll bet that most radios are running less that 1X

I guess that falacy in my reasoning is in thinking that all Drake,
Hallicrafters, Hammarlunds, etc. will track the collectable curve
and not go the way of a Chevy Biscayne 4 door.

de ah6gi/4

73 God Bless Tom Popovic KI3R Belle Vernon Pa