Old May 23rd 05, 01:44 AM

JS wrote:
Have looked at reviews on sub $100 portables.
This one has analog styledigital tuning and fine tuning.
Plus it has ssb.
Anyone have one, comments?

I have one and like it quite a bit. It feels like a solid radio, it
sounds better and receives better than my dx-402, and the ergonomics
aren't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The analog display is
"digitized", so it seems like a gimick.You can do direct entry tune, or
use the tuning knob on the side...it doesn't chuff! the tuning knob
doubles as the volume control; just press vol, the turn the knob, then
wait half a sec. before tuning. It handles a random wire clipped to the
telescopic without overloading, and you could use something like a Sony
AN_LP1 with it easily. I live in a very (electrically)noisy town in NH
so it's hard to test out the true DX capabilities....on a quiet
day,though, I've been able to pull in Iceland, RVI via Irkutsk(when
they still b'cast in English) channel africa in the afternoon (EST) as
well as the majors all over. I wake up to R. Lider from Colombia or R.
Nacional from Paraguay in the early morning, and they come in just
fine! I haven't tried out a Grundig 400PE, but I suspect the 1103 is
every bit as good. I even found the perfect case for it.....a Gameboy
Advance case ; )