Old May 23rd 05, 02:08 AM
JS

I figured I'd ask before getting one.
Have been reading sw portable reveiws for about a week now.
Theres a site that has some good writeups.
Did start out by looking at the Sangeans, but
after reading about so many problems I started
looking at some others.
Figure if we get alot of storms this year(south Florida)
it'll be nice to have something to listen to other than the local stations
covering just storm news !

wrote in message
ups.com...

JS wrote:
Have looked at reviews on sub $100 portables.
This one has analog styledigital tuning and fine tuning.
Plus it has ssb.
Anyone have one, comments?

I have one and like it quite a bit. It feels like a solid radio, it
sounds better and receives better than my dx-402, and the ergonomics
aren't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The analog display is
"digitized", so it seems like a gimick.You can do direct entry tune, or
use the tuning knob on the side...it doesn't chuff! the tuning knob
doubles as the volume control; just press vol, the turn the knob, then
wait half a sec. before tuning. It handles a random wire clipped to the
telescopic without overloading, and you could use something like a Sony
AN_LP1 with it easily. I live in a very (electrically)noisy town in NH
so it's hard to test out the true DX capabilities....on a quiet
day,though, I've been able to pull in Iceland, RVI via Irkutsk(when
they still b'cast in English) channel africa in the afternoon (EST) as
well as the majors all over. I wake up to R. Lider from Colombia or R.
Nacional from Paraguay in the early morning, and they come in just
fine! I haven't tried out a Grundig 400PE, but I suspect the 1103 is
every bit as good. I even found the perfect case for it.....a Gameboy
Advance case ; )