Old May 23rd 05, 04:00 AM
€ Dr. Artaud €

wrote in news:1116809670.568364.132600
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Ah, therein lies the need for the 6KHz filter for the FT-840, to bring
the perceived response a little closer, very close indeed.

In addition, the heating created by a transceiver will be largely
impacted by transmitting. When not transmitting, the power consumption
and heating will be considerably reduced. I have never heard the fan run
on my FT-840, it never gets that hot. Even one of my Handhelds with a
diecast metal body, you can carry it all day as receiver, but when
transmitting, the case gets fairly warm.

(I am tired, I just figured out how to spell transmission, I had been
trying to spell it transmittion, but it didn't look right. I restructured
the sentence to eliminate it, but later realized my folly).

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

If I were a "philosophercater" (excuse my Bush-speak), I would think AM
performance on a transceiver would be not of much concern to the
manufacturer, so the performance may not be as good as what you would
find on a receiver. I'd expect no drawbacks in sideband.

Transceivers get a bit hotter since you have more circuitry. It follows
that they draw more power. Not that much of a big deal unless the
transceiver uses a fan.