Old May 23rd 05, 05:07 AM
John Smith

Ahhhh, a "Linux Warrior" serving in the Linux Army seeking world conquest...

Probably about 90%+ (at the very least 80%) of all computer users are
windows based... I simply think of the biggest audience (greatest
good-greatest number, America used to be like that--I miss it...)

I go between Linux and Windows as necessary, my recreation machine is
Slackware based (mp3s, movies, personal coding, etc...) ... Mac I avoid
(but, they can run Linux)... those guys (Mac'ers) are worse then Bill when
it comes to proprietary rights and control...

..pdf is great, but huge...

I thought you were more interested in the free sharing of info than fighting
operating system wars... nothing wrong with either... both serve a
purpose--but best done one at a time...

Warmest regards,
John

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
Dave:

Are you familiar with microsoft reader... it reads ebooks in something of
"paperback style."

Not familiar with it, don't really care to be. I have a policy of
avoiding the use of Microsoft software on my systems except when no
decent alternative exists.

I am not sure if there is a counterpart in the Linux
world...

Adobe Acrobat Reader has a "continuous, facing" display option - pairs
of pages side by side - which I suspect is close to the "paperback
style" to which you refer. Works fine with the PDFs I'm distributing.

are you dual boot?

No, I don't trust that mode, for a couple of reasons. Some M$
operating systems are known to rather aggressively overwrite or
destroy other OS's partitions or boot blocks, sometimes without asking
or warning. And, given all of the security exploits against Windows
and Explorer and etc. floating around, I feel safer not allowing
Windows to have direct access to my hardware.

I do occasionally run Windows (usually Win98) in a VmWare virtual
machine, with a virtualized hard drive, for things like tax software,
ham-radio programming utilities, etc.. That way, it's running safely
in user mode, can't get to the real hardware, and I can wipe it and
start over from a checkpoint save without affecting the rest of my
system.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO