Old May 23rd 05, 04:54 AM
John Smith

The pics would be converted to .jpeg... the text, in an efficient ebook
format, would be held compressed--very small... I did say one-meg+, I was
thinking about the pics (graphics) when I included the '+'... black and
white compresses very small, gray scale not as well... still, 33 megs is
HUGE! I don't see it being any larger then 3 megs at worst case... 1/10 is
good...

Warmest regards,
John

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article ,
John Smith wrote:

I don't think you grasp what is being done here... I am not even
contemplating using it... but transforming it into other formats for
others
use... 33 megs is pretty big for a book... down about one-meg would be
more
useful...

Getting it down to 1 meg would necessarily sacrifice almost all of the
detail in the photographs - they'd be unviewable. 1 meg might be
enough space for the text, and possibly for the black&white charts and
line drawings (as bitmaps) but the photos would be lost.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO