Old May 23rd 05, 06:55 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Ahhhh, a "Linux Warrior" serving in the Linux Army seeking world conquest...

You might consider being a bit less quick to toss off those
stereotypes, John. They can blind you more than they illuminate.

Probably about 90%+ (at the very least 80%) of all computer users are
windows based... I simply think of the biggest audience (greatest
good-greatest number, America used to be like that--I miss it...)

.... and all of those Windows users can, if they choose, view PDF
documents. "Portable", y'know? The Adobe software is free, and works
fine.

What I'm not particularly interested in doing, is creating a
non-portable (Windows-specific) version. Why restrict the usability?

If you want to do so, go right ahead... as long as you comply with the
simple "noncommercial, share and share alike" copyright terms on the
PDF, you can create a further derivative work to suit yourself.

I'll be curious how many tens, or hundreds of hours of work it takes
to develop a suitably-high-quality textual representation of this
book. Do let us know!

I go between Linux and Windows as necessary, my recreation machine is
Slackware based (mp3s, movies, personal coding, etc...) ... Mac I avoid
(but, they can run Linux)... those guys (Mac'ers) are worse then Bill when
it comes to proprietary rights and control...

And that's pretty much why I stopped using (and developing software)
for my Mac, put it into retirement, and switched to Linux. (Could
have been a *BSD derivative, but there was a big two- or three-way war
going on within the *BSD camp at the time).

.pdf is great, but huge...

By today's standards?

I thought you were more interested in the free sharing of info than fighting
operating system wars...

I am. You raised the subject, and I simply answered the question to
explain why I'm not personally interested in doing what you want.

I've done what I set out to do - get this work back into public
availability, in a useful form. If that form does not suit your
desires, that's your issue, not mine, and you're free to correct the
situation.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO