Old May 23rd 05, 09:03 PM
dxAce

beerbarrel wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:13:01 -0400, "Lucky"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
You want a crowbar and a fuse.
Avoid switchmode supplies like the plague.

This is a link to one review of the RS-10a:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3726

This link to a dagram shows a fuse:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/astr...ron-rs-10a.jpg

A long time ago in a different life (20+ years ago) I was responsable
for the operation of a 2 mtr repeater and I picked a Atron supply that
is still chugging along with no trouble. I don't remember which Astron
but at least back then, they made great supplies.

I added a surplus magnetic circuit breaker between the output of my
Lambda ~15A 12V supply and my equipment, followed by a seperate
fast acting, no falses ?(so far) crowbar. This is the BEST OVP (Over
Voltage Protector) I have seen in 30+ years of working in electronics.
Added a heavy si diode wired to shunt reverse voltage to ground.
This is located in the power distribution section of my system. With
this
I can directly power my radio room from my car, for emergencies, and
won't have to worry abvout areverse connection,or nasty spikes damaging
my equipment.
Power supply on floor feeds voltage/current monitoring with R&OVP and
breakers to protect and alllow me to power down sections to reduce
power load. Sounds complex and expensive, but it wasn't and I bought
everything surplus. The distirbution sections has stayed "the same" for

the last 20 years, I have gone through several power supplies. I have
connections for 2 lead acid gell cells, and an outside connection to
allow
an external +12V power source.

Think modular.
Build it in sections as needed.

Terry

Terry

You know what, screw Ebay. My R75 is almost brand new and I love my Lowe
HF-150 so why not "splurge a little" and buy a new one? I just bought a
brand new Astron RS-7a. $45.80 was the cheapest I could find it plus $12
shipping. It weighs 10lbs.

I think I did the right thing buying a new one.

Lucky

You think someone on ebay would sell you one?

Good question.

dxAce
Michigan
USA