Old May 24th 05, 07:16 AM
Richard Clark

On 23 May 2005 21:09:39 -0700, "
wrote:

I am using Icom IC-706 (not the newer one, but the oldest one), got it
from another local ham for a good price. I am using an external SWR
meter, of a friend. (Lafayete is the brand name I can read in the box).

Hi Ramakrishnan,

This rig is sure feature loaded. If you don't have the manual, visit:
http://www.icomamerica.com/support/m...c-706mkiig.pdf
As I suspected, a #2 Phillips will do the job of key-down. I didn't
take the time to wade through the manual - my taste in gear runs
towards surface mount meaning a single component that can be held
between two fingers, and the markings can still be read without heavy
lensing.

I presume you don't have the optional tuner, otherwise we wouldn't be
talking about SWR.

The external SWR meter is good enough (does it agree with the ICOM
front panel indicator?). Do you have a dummy load to test it against?
If so, we can proceed along those lines too.

http://www.hackGNU.org

Your weblog has crashed by the way.

You should also be following the thread
"Laport's 'Radio Antenna Engineering' available"
and downloading a copy if you are not bandwidth restricted. Laport is
one of the more accessible writers on the craft of antenna design.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC