Old May 24th 05, 03:02 PM
W9DMK

On Tue, 24 May 2005 04:25:49 GMT, Russ wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:17:29 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:05:03 -0700, Jim Kelley
wrote:
I always thought the biggest ham antenna was supposedly the old W6AM
rhombic on Palos Verdes peninsula.

http://home.swipnet.se/dx/porthole/w6am1.htm

Hi Jim,

Any picture that requires a satellite view must qualify as BIG.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Wullenweber's (AN/FLR-9)
that were used for radio survellence and direction-finding years ago.
They may not have been the largest, but they were certainly among the
most complex.

The antenna you are referring to should be spelled Wollenweber, which
in German means literally a "wool weaver". They got that name because
of their resemblance to an automatic sock making machine.

There were several of those stationed at strategic places around the
world - mostly surrounding the USSR, and they were used by our people
for the purpose of eavesdropping on Iron Curtain communications. I had
some familiarity with the project in 1984-5 working for RCA Service
Company. The project was called Maroon Archer and had been around for
some time already. For example, there was one near Stuttgart. I'm sure
they have been dismantled by now.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
Replace "nobody" with my callsign for e-mail
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
http://zaffora/f2o.org/W9DMK/W9dmk.html