Old May 25th 05, 06:20 AM
starman

mike maghakian wrote:

for those not aware of it, this model has digital readout on shortwave only,
the 2900 added MW and FM digital readout. also all three models drift a lot
in the first hour. it is said that panasonic did not use a quality variable
capacitor, I do not know if this is the case, but they added a calibrator so
they must have known !!

I had a 2900 in the early 80's. The drift was caused by the main tuning
capacitor which used polyethylene (plastic) dielectric separators
between the thin metal plates. This was the kind of tuning cap' used in
most small transistor radios for decades. To prove that the cap' was the
cause of the drift I temporarily replaced it with an air dielectric
variable cap' of the approximate range as the OEM one. This made the
oscillator much more stable. I disassembled the tuning cap' in my 2900
and carefully reassembled it taking care not to compress the stack of
plates and separators two much. This did help to make the receiver more
stable when the tuning was changed.