Old May 25th 05, 06:36 PM
Leland C. Scott

On Tue, 24 May 2005 06:14:05 -0700, RST Engineering wrote:

Which is ... ????

Jim

if they want to get young Hams in to the hobby they need to wake up and
show them what Ham Radio has to offer that they CAN'T get using the
Internet and a cell phone.

For one thing rebuilding a wireless network in this country. In some
areas, like Detroit, packet is nearly dead. I use computers a lot, I have
4 on my private home network now running several different operating
systems, and I would love to be able to setup several servers without
having to worry about my ISP threatening to cancel my service for doing do.

Using modified WiFi gear, or the Icom D-Star system, would give many Hams
speeds much faster that you can get using just dial up, and many Hams
still use dial up because they can't get DSL or Broadband at their home.

Then there is nothing like having communications that doesn't die when you
you need it most, and doesn't come with a monthly bill. I was on the air
back when we had the great north east black out several years ago. When a
lot of people couldn't get through using their cell phone because the
system crapped out or was simply over loaded. I also know of several Hams
who will not get cell phones for their older kids because of the cost of
the bills. It was cheaper in the long run to get some low end VHF HT's,
get his kids licensed, and had them use the radios when they need to talk
to them. As much as teenagers like to gab among themselves I think getting
them HT's instead of cell phones would work out much better, it's like one
big party line, and they don't have to worry about air time minutes.

And that's just a couple.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO