Old May 26th 05, 02:10 AM
John Smith

.... in the above post...

--used to be the wsh/wish windows script--
should have been:
--used to be the wsh/wish windows scripting engine--

Warmest regards,
John
"John Smith" wrote in message
Java is NOT a computer language... script compilers have always been
available, perl has one also, as does C#, wsh, etc--java "compiled" is
really still a script calling winapi's on windows, and calls into kernel
code in Linux...

... it is slow...

There is nothing wrong with scripting languages, I use perl all the time
(but I don't bother with the "compiler")--indeed, one scripting language
is enough--why the world wants a hundred is above my understanding...
windows wish/wsh has front ends for most, so you can write in the syntax
you are fluent in--perl--wish--C#--java--etc--in fact--this is how they
implemented Java on their platform, and why SUN sued them and they removed
it... Java--Java Beans--Javascript is all pretty much the same--mostly
"compiling" only obfuscates the code--at first this made it difficult for
others to copy--now Java "de-compilers" tear it apart to the base source
code with ease... Java "compiles" in OS specific format--javascript is in
webpages... the JIT (Just In Time compiler) "runs" that java code on a
windows system... what ultimately runs--used to be the wsh/wish windows
script--now since SUN sued, you must get their binaries...

Warmest regards,
John

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..
sounds like you're mixing up Java and JavaScript.
Java is really a good language for Linux - and Wndows - And for i-series
(AS/400)
C# is a java wannabe. (VB.net runs as fast as C#)
You call them scripting languages - but they're really hybrids - they are
compiled - but not to machine language.
Java needs the JVM - and C# needs the dot-net framework.
Java will run on most platforms.
C# will run on windows.
Java rules.
C# is not my favorite language - in case I wasn't clear.
I like Python better than Perl. It is Object-oriented. Java spoiled me
for
OO.
When it comes to server-side programming, Java is the one - JSP and
servlets.

"John Smith" wrote in message
Java is OK for Linux, C# is better on windows machines (both use the "C"
programming syntax--both are scripting languages--if you are going to
use

scripting language get activeperl, it is free and the best)... Windows
XP

no
longer supports java--if you patch with SP2 (and you most certainly

should)
java is lost and must be installed as a third party component from the
SUN
Microsystems site... I don't use Java--too slow... most malicious
webpage/email/newsgroup attacks are in java these days... although few
are
successful--some are... scriptkiddies favorite language is Java...

Warmest regards,
John