Old May 27th 05, 01:34 PM
Chuck Harris

;-p wrote:

COLIN LAMB wrote:

If someone lawfully downloads something on the internet that is not
protected and sells it, and another person calls him a thief, or infringes
upon his right to sell that item, then the person who is harmed is the
seller - who in turn has a cause of action against the accuser for libel and
interference with the right to sell.

Be careful when accusing someone of being a thief, or they may take your
money from you.

Colin K7FM

Oh come off it Colin. We all know that none of us has the real rights
to this material. What I'm saying is that if "I" go to the trouble to
scan in a 200 page manual and then upload for free use by others, I
have done most of the work and if someone downloads this work and sells
it they are stealing my work. In that regard the seller is a thief.
Maybe not in the legal sense but in a moral sense he is. THIEF he is
and THIEF I'll call him.

What about the professional repair guy who downloads a copy of the manual
you scanned, and then **shudder** asks top dollar to repair a piece of
equipment using that manual? That manual has enabled him to make the repair,
and he has, in essence sold that manual to his customer. I bet he has made
more off of the free manual from BAMA than any of the ebay merchants.

(OBTW, I have been that guy.)

If you have conditions on how the manual you scanned is to be used, don't make
the manual publically available on BAMA. Go off and sell it yourself!

-Chuck