Old December 7th 03, 12:09 PM
Ron

The fact is in the UK at the moment a nice vintage WORKING radio
is worth much more than an untouched non working one..
This may change over the next few years of course
Take the famous R1155 receiver, the mod to remove the defunct DF
componants in the 50's has reduced the value on Ebay to about £60
a complete but none working one goes for about £100 BUT a complete
and working one even if a few caps have been replaced I've seen go
for over £200 so who is to say?
Also I must agree with the low voltage option!! I have found this
myself, take an old radio with leaky caps and dodgy smoothing and
leave it running warm at about 30% power for a couple of weeks 24hrs
a day and it comes back to life remarkably well!! at least it gives
you a working perfect example, if I am forced to do any mods like
changing caps plugs or leads I shrink wrap all the removed bits and
attach them with a description of what was done to the case inside.
as after all we are only temporary owners )
These days I prefer to buy old sets that have been modified or are
badly beaten up for a silly price, I have more fun getting back close
to original working spec and don't feel guilty replacing parts hi!!!
from Ron.....

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 02:55:36 -0500, starman wrote:

As you may know, there's an SX-88 on Ebay. The pictures show it still
has the original paper capacitors like the 'Tiny Chiefs' and 'Black
Beauties', which are known to become leaky. Should a valuable radio like
the '88' be run with these caps' and possibly damage an irreplacable
componant, such as an I.F. transformer? Would it lessen the value if it
was recapped?