Old May 28th 05, 01:39 AM
Jayson Davis

Fred W4JLE wrote:
Only those too cheap to pay for the internet.

"Jayson Davis" wrote in message

Cement cool bonds between computers and
amateur radio and you'll have a far better chance at attracting people.

Thanks for top posting.

No, that's not true. You only create specific services that allow
outbound Internet access. Certainly, you'd filter the living snot for
web services so about the only place they could go would be arrl.org.
But you can create a lot of interesting things along the lines of what
ka9q did with his NOS package over packet. Except in this case, you'd
actually have some speed to it and be able to use bonafide Internet
protocols that work with free/cheap software. Yeah, you can use a web
browser on this network, but you get to browse pretty much the web pages
on the amateur network.

I don't know why people assume high speed data over amateur radio means
an influx of people wanting to use the Internet. Lots of college age
kids have become quite knowledgeable about microwaves and RF by
experimenting with their 802.11 wireless gear. I see no reason they
couldn't do this in the amateur bands because DXing, working SSB on 40
meters and all of that just doesn't appeal to them.

Or, you can let them do their thing, gain their knowledge and push
amateur radio into further irrelevancy. I think we all know where the
prevailing winds are blowing.