Old May 27th 05, 10:33 PM
Dee Flint

"Sal" Clone@noEmail wrote in message ...
So what is the big deal about Dayton? Is it the Nirvana of Ham Radio?
Paradise Lost?

It's a place to actually see just about every current radio all set up at
the same time. It's a place to see a plethora of various styles of antennas
set all at one time. I always come back with much new information to
consider in improving my station and my mobile setup.

What one sees, for the most part, is a scurvy collection of goofily clad
old
men trailing homemade carts or modified grocery carts behind them as they
drag "for sale" junk behind them.

There were also a lot of "normal" looking people there.

Forget getting close to the new vendors booths. The Old Farts gather
around
the new vendors booths and dawdle for hours on end. No, they won't spend a
penny, but they love to stand in front of the new vendors booths and share
their flatulence with those standing behind them. The only way to get
close
to the new vendor booths is to hope that one of the Old Men wets his Relys
and has to head to the bathroom.

Had no problem whatsoever getting close to the vendors booths new or old.

Then there is always the Double Dip who comes to the fest with six
handie-talkies on his aleady overburdended 1960's white belt. You have
seen
them. Six HT's, three on each side with mics dangling from every angle. It
makes you wonder how the Goons keep their pants up.
And what Dayton Hamfest would not be complete without at least one
Goofball
running around the arena with a small beam antenna mounted on his hat? You
have seen the likes. Beam me up, Scotty.

So what? It makes them happy.

Oh, and let us not ignore the ever present Junk Vendors in the outside
arena. Anybody want to buy a burned out Marine battery? Some ten year old
AA
batteries still in the orginal 1995 package?

So what? It's also a place to find the unusual that you've been looking
for.

Dayton is far from the Ham Radio Mecca it once used to be. It has turned
into a Flea Market.

So what? If the outside vendors want to pay for the spot, let them.

I went to Dayton once. After arriving at 0700 and not being allowed into
the main arena until 11:00 I quickly wrote Dayton off, never to return.

What did you do wrong? I've never had a problem getting right in at the
opening time.

It is not worth the trip.

Too bad you think so.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE