Old May 28th 05, 12:46 AM

Default 7030+ front end

For the last couple of weeks I've been testing out a 7030+. It's a very
nice receiver, all decked out with Collins filters. Until earlier
today, I hadn't used it to listen to anything in the 2-3mhz range. But,
largely because of an earlier thread relating to intermod and the
7030+'s front end, I decided to put it through its paces.

To my surprise, there were noticeable images of big broadcast stations
popping up on numerous frequencies. Now mind you, I'm in Brooklyn, NY
and the BCB stations around NYC have to strain even the sturdiest front
end. So, I wasn't all *that* surprised to find these images. However,
it's interesting to note that none of these images are present on the
Drake R8B.

I don't mean this as a criticism of the 7030+, since it's a great
performer with lots of interesting features. I just find this result a
little surprising.

Fortunately, once I put a Kiwa BCB rejection filter in line, the
problem disappeared.

Steve