Old May 28th 05, 07:18 AM
John Smith

Hal:

Java is buried in a lot of webpages... when it first got big use... I kinda
liked all the flashy visual stuff it could do...
.... then it started bogging down net speed, then the scriptkiddies started
finding evil ways to hijack your browser and "trick" you into clicking on
buttons which put bad code on your machine with Java--I dumped Java
then--now I have run XP w/SP2 with SUN Java enabled and not been bothered
with the malicious code--but once burned--twice warned--and I turn Java off
most of the time... some forms demand it...

I am not against scripting languages, and perl is one of the first I
learned--but since I write in C, Java is no problem--but I don't like the
OOP part, it forces a lot of predefined functions/procedures and methods on
you... luckily, we don't do any Java at the shop--it is too slow for our
implementations of encryption/decryption... sometimes assembly is barely
able to manage the tasks in real time... and that is important with
voice/video communications...

Are you a programmer Hal? And if so, what is your language(s) of choice?
And, are you a hobby programmer or have to try to get enough money to eat
from your efforts (like me grin) ? My most fulfilling use of code is for
personal use... I'd really quit my job if I didn't need the booze, cigs and
loose women (well, something like that grin)

Warmest regards,
John

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..
Saw an article where Google uses 3 languages routinely: C++, Java, and
Python.
(All 3 are object-oriented)
Special permission was needed for other languages
I think one reason for the OO movement revolves around the cost of
development.
Large projects -
with many developers of varying degrees of competence -
are easier to manage
using OO design.

If someone gives a coder a job like:
"write an instance method for xyz class which will take 2 int args and
return a abc class..."
he can go right to work. -and -
someone else can be coding a different method for the same class.

regardless of the language
when you code
you'll find some patterns
we all use