Old May 28th 05, 05:22 AM
John Plimmer

That's very strange indeed, as the 7030+ has the highest blocking specs of
any hobby receiver and higher than some very expensive professional
receivers.
It should definitely outperform a R8B in blocking out of band high power TX
signals, so I suspect there is something wrong with it.
Maybe whoever installed the Collins filters did not do a proper job and this
is causing the breakthrough's and intermods?
Don't give up on the 7030+ as over time it has proved to be one of the best
RX's available.
Many of the top DXer's in Europe use it and they are near 1000 KW TX's -
they have no problems.
Have it checked out by a professional with the workshop manual.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

wrote in message
oups.com...
For the last couple of weeks I've been testing out a 7030+. It's a very
nice receiver, all decked out with Collins filters. Until earlier
today, I hadn't used it to listen to anything in the 2-3mhz range. But,
largely because of an earlier thread relating to intermod and the
7030+'s front end, I decided to put it through its paces.

To my surprise, there were noticeable images of big broadcast stations
popping up on numerous frequencies. Now mind you, I'm in Brooklyn, NY
and the BCB stations around NYC have to strain even the sturdiest front
end. So, I wasn't all *that* surprised to find these images. However,
it's interesting to note that none of these images are present on the
Drake R8B.

I don't mean this as a criticism of the 7030+, since it's a great
performer with lots of interesting features. I just find this result a
little surprising.

Fortunately, once I put a Kiwa BCB rejection filter in line, the
problem disappeared.

Steve