Old May 28th 05, 06:24 PM
Guy Atkins

Hi John,

The 100 kw claim is absolutely bogus. I've received a half dozen or so
emails from two people connected with the Wantok Radio Light project since
last December; one of them is the head engineer working on the installation,
and the other is the USA head of fund raising and development for the 7120
khz station and it's FM sister-station.

Both of these people have said more than once that it is a 1 (ONE) Kw
transmitter! I even have a coverage map document that lists "1 Kw" as the
power, and the photographs I've seen of the transmitter show a very compact
unit... definitely not a 100 Kw package!

So... there's no question that Wantok Radio Light is 1 Kw. The weak signal
I've been receiving here is appropriate for this power level. They are also
using a "NVIS" antenna design that attempts to restrict as much RF energy as
possible to a few hundred miles radius. Of course, we know that the similar
NVIS "Shower Service" of the 120 meterband Aussies propagates around the
world despite their attempts to keep it local. Still, a lot less energy than
1 Kw is propagated across the globe from Wantok Radio Light from their
transmitter/antenna combo.

The coverage map indicates a signal dropping to " 20 dBu" field strength
just past the Solomon Islands.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

"John Plimmer" wrote in message
Great ID there Guy - thanks for that info.
I am puzzled though about the power from this TX.
One source says it is a 1 Kw station, the other 100 Kw.
Do you have reliable info as to exactly what the power output is??