Old May 29th 05, 04:15 AM

Rick Kunath wrote:
Is there any possibility that you have the rear-panel pre-amp turned on
in
the 7030?

What happens when you add in 10 dB or so of attenuation?

Rick Kunath
Preamp was off.
Attenuation didn't mater.
It was reduced with a 50 Ohm termanator on the antenna
port but not eliminated.

Wasn't bad enough to be a problem, after all if a R390 and the R392,
completly shielded in a tough aluminium case with 4 1/4" bolts per side
of the front pannel, that amke good contact witht he front panel and
the
case, both received the 770KHz signal, I wan't suprised the 7030+
and almost every other receiver I have tried picks it up.

I would consider selling a kidney tonight, if legal, to get one. I
LOVED
the receiver. Sadly the ARM and QRN noise floor is my limiting factor,
even my R2000s don't reach their internal noise floor because of the
external crap.

But the selection of filters, the synch detector, tunning steps,
optional
PC control make the 7030+ my dream receiver. At my QTH any signal
I could receive with the 7030+ I could receive with either of R2000s.
But the synch detector is magic. The better filters allow listening to
weak signals that will give you a head ach on the R2000s. Signals
that are dificult to impossible to understand on the R2000 are hard
much easier to understand. I can't explain the difference, reminds me
of the tube/valve HiFi debate, but I will never be satisfied unitl I
have
my own 7030+. Even with similar bandwidths the 7030+ is the clear
winner. And it isn't just a pahse noise issue. Comparing it to a R390
and R392 in a friends fairly RFquite country home, the 7030+ beat
the R390 and R392 in weak signal "understandability". I don't have
a scale to measure it, or even words to really discribe it, but the
7030+ is just "cleaner". The R39X have "no" phase noise. I had
always writtensome of the less then perfect weak signal performance
of the R2000 to phase noise. I now know that isn't the whole story.
Don't get me wrong, for what I have in my R2000 they are great
receivers. Kind of like comparing a Toyota Camray to a Lamborghini.
The Camray will get you there, but the Lamborghini will really get you
there.

The only improvement for the AOR 7030+ that I can think of is a
90% price reduction.

I would gladly trade my PCs and all of my radios, ham gear included
for a 7030+.

Terry