Old May 29th 05, 01:49 PM
garigue

Kids & INTERNET: Instant Messager, Chat Rooms, Videoconference
in REAL TIME with your friends, Play games (Halo for example) over
a Network with your friends, send messages via cellphone to e-mail and
visa-versa, computers are cheap $300 for a P4 fully loaded at
C-shows...etc...etc...

I'll buy that .....

Kids and HAM RADIO: Radios can be expensive, big antennas needed if
you want HF,

Big maybe ...expensive ...like anything else what you want to put into it

all to talk to are sour old men (or retro-bigots if your on
75 Meters at night) who hate kids for the most part,

Ah com on ..here we go again with this crap ..... this happens in all
endeavors ... avoid those idiots by a turn of the dial or better yet get on
CW where this "effluent" isn't present ....

packet-radio a joke
at 9600 baud (circa 1981 speed!!)

Agreed ...... what started out as a interesting meld of computer hi-tech
into the service fizzled ...... perhaps more by govt. regulation than
anything else ..... not an expert here .....

compared to DSL, radios expensive to
fix if they break

Yes and no ...... simple homemade stuff is easy to fix if you built it ....
I hate to use the old saw but I have yet to see a computer whiz etch his own
motherboard of late ......

and most radios (except yaesu) are built like a cheap VCR

huh ?????? I have many radios that have gone for years without a problem

kids on ham few and far between.....etc

any questions?

Yep ...what is your call ...... and have you helped any kids get their
tickets of late .....

(it sucks eh?)

Nope ....but your attitude sure does .....

73 Tom KI3R Belle Vernon Pa ....