Old May 29th 05, 02:06 PM
garigue

Nope. You just about covered it all.
That leaves only the holdout dregs of CB who are now getting Tech licenses
and migrating to two meters.

Used to be that the hams came mostly from the SWL fraternity ...... we have
had CB converts test and upgrade with no difficulty .... problems on the
repeaters .....any were solved by a phone call to that person not by an on
air "dressing down"

You can hear them every day on the local repeaters. They use CB slang such
as "hate and discontent", "make my phone go ringy-dingy", "I heard that, I
did", and the all-time favorite? "Ten four, good buddy."

Did you give the guys a call on the phone and explain procedure or write
them a note ??? We all were young once either in age or experience .....at
57 I still routinely put my foot in my mouth ...

They buy a Rad Shack 2 meter ht and hammer the repeaters all day long. Ask
one of them to switch over to simplex and you can hear the confusion in
their voices.

Here is where I have to agree with you Terry ..... better yet ask them to
switch over to CW or the digital modes on HF. The problem I see is that we
don't have enough people upgrading to HF or using any mode but VHF FM.

"Simplex. What is that?" or, "I can't get out that far."
Oh, and for laughs just listen to the Techies as they give each other

signal
reports on a repeater. They tell each other they are full quieting and

have
good audio. Oh, duh!

Again our job as members of this "fraternity" is to be a guide to to new
guys or ladys. Always remember the stupid things that we have done or said
in the past ....and boy do I have a lot of those ......

The ultimate hoot for me was when last week a couple of Techies were
hammering the daylights out of a local repeater. One was getting out of
range and his Techie buddie suggested they move to another repeater. What
did I hear but the one Tech say to the other, "I am gonna QSY to my

truck."
Lids. Lids and more Lids.

No just newcombers for the most part who need a little guidence but I do
know guys who have been in this line for 50 years who would fit the Lid
title .......

(ditttos on the Yaesu gear. I wouldn't own anything but)

I'm looking at a 897 for the car ...looks pretty neat .....

Takle care all 73 Tom KI3R Belle Vernon Pa.