Old May 29th 05, 09:06 PM

garigue wrote:

Used to be that the hams came mostly from the SWL fraternity ...... we have
had CB converts test and upgrade with no difficulty .... problems on the
repeaters .....any were solved by a phone call to that person not by an on
air "dressing down"

You can hear them every day on the local repeaters. They use CB slang such
as "hate and discontent", "make my phone go ringy-dingy", "I heard that, I
did", and the all-time favorite? "Ten four, good buddy."

Did you give the guys a call on the phone and explain procedure or write
them a note ??? We all were young once either in age or experience .....at
57 I still routinely put my foot in my mouth ...

Every once in a blue moon I regress back into my mischevious mode and
at the tail end of a qso on one of the heavily-used 2M machines I'll
drop in the "Ten 'Fo Good Buddy" routine just see what happens. On a
couple of these occasions yup, sure enough here cometh one of the
self-appointed repeater cops with a stern lecture about "proper
operating practices". I just leave well enough alone and listen to all
the squelch tails which pop up. A buddy told me that one of these
goofballs got up at a meeting and asked "what can we do about w3rv?"

You need to gain another 7 years in the saddle before you'll be 65
which is THE major milestone. After you hit that one you have not only
a free pass to having both feet in your mouth but it's also *expected*.
Geezerhood is a great, you'll enjoy it no end.

Takle care all 73 Tom KI3R Belle Vernon Pa.

w3rv