Old May 30th 05, 09:53 AM
Greg Alexander

Default controlling marine radio remotely via VoIP?

Hello,
I'm a member of a volunteer marine rescue group in Australia.
I was chatting yesterday to a couple of members about the possibilities
of accessing our radio base's radios from home, via the internet.

The idea would be to have a virtual radio on the computer, transmitting
and receiving via the radios at the base. We'd have to make it secure
of course, and like the US we would have certain local regulations we
have to adhere to.

Anyway I thought I might ask online and see if anyone could help. I've
read a little on the echolink product and I don't think it's what we're
after, though I have to admit that alot of the terminology used is
beyond me (for now anyway).

So my questions
1) Is there an internet-based method of separating the physical
transmitter/receiver from the user (who needs his computer, mic, and
method to switch channels, adjust squelch etc)?
2) Are there software only and hardware based solutions?
3) what kind of costs are we looking at (besides the internet/pc cost)?

Thanks for any and all information and help!
Greg
ps. If this is the wrong group to ask on, please point me in the right
direction?