Old May 30th 05, 06:21 PM
Jim Hampton

wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote:

. . .

On the other hand, I believe that we should have a good
mix of ages.

Sure - but how much is enough? If, say, 10% of the US amateur
population were under the age of 21, would that be enough?

What "dire fate" would befall ham radio if there wasn't a single
licensee under 21? What do they actaully bring to hobby which is so
important?? Sorry, makes no sense, I just don't get it.

If it's a numbers game why not shift gears and recruit retirees instead
of chasing kids? The retirees are far more independent than kids,
they're more mature, on average they don't care about nonsense like
instant gratification and peer pressure and they have the time the kids
don't have. And in most cases they also have the money the kids don't
have.

w3rv

Kelly,

I think we're batting our gums over nothing. The original post, in my mind,
hit the nail on the head. Technical folks seem to be almost unwanted in the
United States. One reason for amateur radio (at least in the past) was to
attract the technically oriented and hopefully some would persue their
interest and become engineers.

Engineers don't make tons of money these days. Skilled trades folks are
almost unwanted. I had to laugh, there were ads for toolmakers (a number of
years minimum experience) that ran $10.00 to $12.00 per hour. I just saw an
ad for a parking lot attendent at $11.00 per hour. Of course, the
requirements for that job were tough. Almost as tough as amateur radio
requirements. Not only did you need a high school diploma (or ged, or
equivalent experience), you had to be able to make change without the use of
a computer or calculator!

Meanwhile, Russia launches Direct TVs latest hi-definition satellite, China
does the manufacturing.

As to your suggestion about putting a minimum age limit for amateurs,
raising it enough (say to 55) would ensure that mostly appliance operators
apply.

Sorry, I can't agree on an age limit for amateurs (although I understand
what you mean about the numbers game - therefor the suggestion). Meanwhile,
we have to get rid of manufacturing and perhaps teachers too. We have more
important stuff to deal with, such as the weapons of mass destruction.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA