Old May 30th 05, 11:18 AM

In: , (Michael Black) wrote:
Of course, manually operated generaters were traditionally cranked directly.
All those WWII spy radios and emergency gear, when you pedalled or spun
the crank you were either charging a battery or running the radio directly.

Hmm.. Wonder why there aren't any consumer based dynamos with an
adapter to run stuff on. (A dynamo / recharge battery takes place
of a wal-wart transformer)

I have no idea, but one guess at why you aren't supposed to use
the radio while cranking is that the generator may be too noisy. Either
it will interfere with radio reception, or they worry that the spikes will
damage the radio circuitry.

I would think the generator kicks out a higher voltage (or spiked) which
would trash the radio. I guess the spring-loaded radios actually
unwind at different rates depending on volume?

Slowly cranking a generator so as to supply the correct effeciency
would really be annoying.

That LED flashlight of mine says the same thing, don't turn the light
on while cranking. But I've done it, and it's not damaged yet.

Would be interesting to see what one of them does when the radio
is played during the crank cycle.

Jamie
(rot13) User Management Solutions