Old May 30th 05, 10:12 PM
Cecil Moore

Fred W4JLE wrote:
Assuming I have an antenna that is perfect on 3.8 MHz. Perfect being
defined, as I am feeding it with exactly 1/2 electrical wave length of 50
Ohm feedline and it is 1:1 SWR measured at the source end.

What would the SWR be if I substituted the 50 Ohm feedline with a 1/2
wavelength of 72 Ohm feedline?

The SWR on the 72 ohm feedline would measure 1.44:1. You do
have an SWR meter calibrated for 72 ohms, don't you? :-)
Your 50 ohm SWR meter will measure 1:1, but as Reg says,
it is merely measuring the degree of match to your
transmitter designed for 50 ohm loads.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp