Old May 31st 05, 01:21 AM
Jim Hampton

wrote in message
ups.com...
Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote:
. . .
On the other hand, I believe that we should have a good
mix of ages.

Sure - but how much is enough? If, say, 10% of the US amateur
population were under the age of 21, would that be enough?

What "dire fate" would befall ham radio if there wasn't a single
licensee under 21? What do they actaully bring to hobby which
is so
important?? Sorry, makes no sense, I just don't get it.

Whole bunch of things:

1) Youth is the future

2) One of the Basis and Purposes of the ARS is education - which
includes things like educating youth. Even if a young ham does
not become an engineer or technical type, the technical background
of ham radio is a good thing to have.

3) The ARS has the image of an "old white guy's hobby" in some
circles. While that's not an accurate picture, losing younger
hams isn't going to help things

4) Young folks have a lot to offer the ARS.

If it's a numbers game why not shift gears and recruit retirees

instead of chasing kids?

That's been going on for a couple decades now. Look at the folks
we did FD with a few years ago - most of the older folks in that
crowd were licensed after age 55.

The thing to do is what Dee says - recruit anyone with an interest.

The retirees are far more independent than kids,

Very true.

they're more mature,

HAH! Look at the FCC enforcement letters - you don't see many
young people being cited for serious operating violations.

There was a guy in Florida named Flippo or some such, and now
Gerritsen in LA. They have no counterparts in the younger
crowd.

Or you can look at the behavior of one "retired from
regular hours" frequent poster here....Maturity?

on average they don't care about nonsense like
instant gratification and peer pressure
and they have the time the kids
don't have. And in most cases they also have the money the kids don't

have.

Those I'll agree with.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Hello, Jim

I sent an off-group message to Dee. You are correct in that she is correct.

The less arguing and more recruiting we can do, the better.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA