Old May 31st 05, 05:24 AM
John Smith

OK CECIL!!!

Leave it up to you to pull the rug out from under me...
If I have a transmitter that has 50 ohm out, and it is going to hook to
a 50 ohm cable (and I can't see how this coax is terminated) why would I
ever choose anything other than a 50 ohm calibrated swr meter to measure
it with?

Is that what I have seen on FS meters before (a rise in apparent
radiation from the coax shield--and yet match looks good) and the 1/2
wave coax is really now part of the antenna?

And, if the meter didn't give me the right reading, and cooked my "BEEG
LEENEAIR" could I sue the manufacturer, buy a yacht and live in the
Bahamas, drinking Peter Vella Merlot? grin

Warmest regards,
John

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Tom Donaly wrote:
VSWR stands for Voltage Standing Wave Ratio. It's supposed to be the
ratio of the greatest voltage on a transmission line to the least
voltage on the same line. On the line with a 72 ohm Z0, and a 50 ohm
load, there exists a standing wave, and the ratio of maximum to
minimum is 1.44 whether you measure it with a 50 ohm bridge at the
beginning or not. If you define SWR as what a 50 ohm SWR bridge
measures, you haven't quite grasped the concept.

And Fred didn't ask what an SWR bridge would measure.
He asked: "What would the SWR be ... ?" You're right.
The SWR would be 1.44:1.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

120,000+ Newsgroups