Old December 15th 03, 04:40 PM
geojunkie

Default Boatanchor Transmitter... Good for Novice?

I began collecting and restoring vintage tube gear about a year ago. I
started with some test equipment and radios (from 30s AM, to 60s FM
stereo), then did a couple of B&W TVs.

Most recently, I got a Hallicrafters SX-71 recapped and aligned
(thanks to some good advice from here). I have been having a lot of
fun with this, for the first time experiencing the HAM bands by using
the BFO to listen to SSB. Of course it also does CW really well,
although I don't know the code. Sunday afternoon I happened across
some really high quality sounding AM HAM transmissions from some kind
of club... I think it was using vintage gear. All this using a 10ft
piece of wire for the antenna... and I have no idea how much better
this can get.

Anyway, I am now thinking about getting a license. I would prefer to
stay vintage tube based. Even though I was born in 55, I just can't
get excited about digital gear, and enjoy having to do most of the
thinking. My question is whether a vintage tranmitter, such as an HT32
would be appropriate for a novice HAM? I actually have an SX-101a
(from ebay) on the way and I think they would make a great pair.

Dan