Old December 15th 03, 05:07 PM
- - Bill - -

geojunkie wrote:

Anyway, I am now thinking about getting a license. I would prefer to
stay vintage tube based. Even though I was born in 55, I just can't
get excited about digital gear, and enjoy having to do most of the
thinking. My question is whether a vintage tranmitter, such as an HT32
would be appropriate for a novice HAM? I actually have an SX-101a
(from ebay) on the way and I think they would make a great pair.

Dan

I've owned both a HT-32 (B-model) and an HT-37 although it was years
ago. I think they are both good rigs and if one was wanting a vintage
xmtr neither would be a bad choice.
Problem with many old xmtrs is that the audio bandwidth tends to be
wider than some people like and there will always be some tinny,
over-compressed rice box user to point that out to you on the band.
The other problem with the filters is that often they have drifted off
their centre/skirt freqs making 'by-the-book' alignment difficult.
I'm not going to categorically toss the HT-anything into being a problem
but its something often encountered with many vintage SSB rigs.
HT-37s go for dirt cheap these days and for the money its not a bad
choice when it comes to bang for the buck. Plus its a neat looking rig!

-Bill