Old June 1st 05, 10:53 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Joel Kolstad wrote:

He'd be breaking the letter of the law but -- assuming he dialed the 706 back
to 5W -- not really the intent, IMO.

Depends on how you read the FCC's intent. If the intent is to limit
power output on the band, yes. If the intent is to require that all
CB transmitters be specifically certificated for this band, no.

The FCC's letters and findings (e.g. when they bust a dealer for
selling "10-meter amateur radio" systems easily converted to 11-meter
operation) seem to me to be asserting the latter pretty consistently.

I really can't imagine the FCC pursuing
the issue. True story: I used to live next door to a guy with a linear amp on
his CB, I called up the FCC field office, and they told me there wasn't
anything they could do. Said they had official monitoring stations that, if
they picked up the guy's transmission, they could go after him, but they just
didn't have the resources to pursue complaints from people calling in
violators.

They do seem to be fairly limited in their ability (or motivation) to
pursue such violations. There are quite a few places on the Net which
advertise "10-meter" radios and also offer "11-meter conversion"
services for 'em. I think I can count, on the fingers of one hand,
the number of dealerships which have been cited for such things in the
past couple of years, and I'd probably have one or two fingers left
over.

And, oh, did I want their free brochure on mitigating interference
to my own electronics?

I seem to recall that somebody (FCC, Congress, ??) pushed through a
change to the laws/regulations, and explicitly gave local
law-enforcement organizations the legal power to prosecute cases of
interference caused by illegally-amplified CB transmitters. Most
police departments are likely either to not know this or not be
terribly interested in pursuing such cases, but in case of severe
unrelenting interference from a known point of origin it might be
worth trying to get them to act on it (on "creating a public nuisance"
or similar grounds).

As to the OP's query - in his situation I'd be tempted to try to wire
up a set of RF and DC relays, which would prevent both rigs from being
powered up at the same time, and would short the antenna connection on
the unpowered rig.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO