Old December 15th 03, 06:41 PM
Tim Wescott

I was licenced in 1988, and got on the air with a SB-102. Since then I've
used a Galaxy V with much success. I haven't made a single HF contact that
didn't go through more tubes (on my side) than transistors (the Galaxy has a
transistorized audio chain). I think that a tube transmitter would be a
fine thing for a novice, as long as you're comfortable with it and take the
responsibility to make sure that it works right.

I _would_ hesitate to run SSB unless I had the provisions to check it
thoroughly. According to the ARRL you really need a spectrum analyzer and
they may be right, but the Handbooks from the 50s and 60s have directions on
checking SSB linearity using an O-scope.

"geojunkie" wrote in message
om...

-- snip --

Anyway, I am now thinking about getting a license. I would prefer to
stay vintage tube based. Even though I was born in 55, I just can't
get excited about digital gear, and enjoy having to do most of the
thinking. My question is whether a vintage tranmitter, such as an HT32
would be appropriate for a novice HAM? I actually have an SX-101a
(from ebay) on the way and I think they would make a great pair.

Dan