Old December 15th 03, 07:07 PM
Scottm

"- - Bill - -" exray@coquidotnet wrote in message
geojunkie wrote:

Anyway, I am now thinking about getting a license. I would prefer to
stay vintage tube based. Even though I was born in 55, I just can't
get excited about digital gear, and enjoy having to do most of the
thinking. My question is whether a vintage tranmitter, such as an HT32
would be appropriate for a novice HAM? I actually have an SX-101a
(from ebay) on the way and I think they would make a great pair.

Dan

I've owned both a HT-32 (B-model) and an HT-37 although it was years
ago. I think they are both good rigs and if one was wanting a vintage
xmtr neither would be a bad choice.
Problem with many old xmtrs is that the audio bandwidth tends to be
wider than some people like and there will always be some tinny,
over-compressed rice box user to point that out to you on the band.
The other problem with the filters is that often they have drifted off
their centre/skirt freqs making 'by-the-book' alignment difficult.
I'm not going to categorically toss the HT-anything into being a problem
but its something often encountered with many vintage SSB rigs.
HT-37s go for dirt cheap these days and for the money its not a bad
choice when it comes to bang for the buck. Plus its a neat looking rig!

-Bill

Bill makes some very good points. Here are a few more to consider.

Using a separate transmitter and receiver, particularly when they weren't
specifically designed to directly interface with each other, may make it
harder to initiate or maintain a QSO. They have to be zero-beated and if
the radios drift at all you may end up spending more time chasing your tail
than rag-chewing. For a beginner, it may get very frustrating.

Some of the parts, particularly the mechanical filters, can be hard to find.
If the filters have detuned, as Bill eludes to in his posting, you'll suffer
mild to excessive reduction in transmit audio quality. I have no experience
with the HTs when it comes to filters, but have replaced several in the
Collins S lines. Sometimes you can buy them for cheap, sometimes not. I
always sweep mine before installation to avoid a lot of work for nothing.

One other poster asked a similar question a few months ago. I pointed out
that the operator needs to be prepared to retune the rig when making
significant changes in frequency. This can get more complicated and time
consuming if you use a non resonant antenna and tuner as you have to tune
the radio first into a dummy load, then tune the antenna tuner. Yes, it can
be done. I do it all the time and I love my boat anchors (all ten of them).
But it can be a hindrance to enjoyment for some people, especially new
operators.

Good luck with your decision and license quest, and hope to hear you on the
air soon

73,
Scott, WN1B