Old December 15th 03, 08:12 PM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "Scottm"
writes:

Some of the parts, particularly the mechanical filters, can be hard to find.
If the filters have detuned, as Bill eludes to in his posting, you'll suffer
mild to excessive reduction in transmit audio quality. I have no experience
with the HTs when it comes to filters, but have replaced several in the
Collins S lines.

Wow, I hadn't realized that mech filters (and maybe even xtal lattices?) can go
sour with age.

Presumably this would happen in receivers as well -- now maybe I know why some
of my BA RX sound better on SSB than others? Though all are more than
acceptable.

Given a transceiver, where the same filters are used in tx and rx, if most
received SSB signals sound good, cna you assume the tx side is good also? Not
counting problems in the diver and final, of course.

I have only one Collins set, a KWM-2, which makes any SSB signal sound
terrific. I've had goon on-air reports from it, so I guess its filter is
hanging in there.
73, Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.