Old June 1st 05, 11:57 PM

Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
From:
on Tues 31 May 2005 15:55

Drop the discussion, Jimmie. You haven't "won" any sort of
argument...rather you've helped FABRICATE a non-issue.

Actually, Leonard, I think Jim has gotten your goat on the
issue.

Actually, Dave, I'm not trying to get anyone's goat. The subject is
about "young'uns in ham radio", and it's obvious that things
like parenting, teaching, and age limits for a license are right
on-subject.

And it's rather surreal to see you lecturing and posturing on
"young'uns in Ham Radio" when it was *you* who suggested to
FCC that *no-one* below the age of 14
years be allowed to obtain *any* class of amateur radio
license.

The USA has never had such an age limit. Some other countries,
like Canada, had them at one time but got rid of them.

Jimmie boy, STOP bringing up that six-year-old
argument which
(I perceive) you tried to use as some kind of "character
flaw."
Hans Brakob floated the first argument on that in here, we
argued on it, but YOU have to keep bringing it up,
bringing it
up, bringing it up. It's like you have intellectual
bullemia.
If you must vomit so much please do it someplace else.

Izzat one of your "Go away" lines, Leonard?

It's a "shut up" line, Dave. Not as obvious as the classic
"feldwebel post", but that's what it means nonetheless.

I'm sure you'd like folks
to stop bringing up things you've written which appear to
have been boneheaded moves.

YOU are NOT going to "win" OLD arguments that you
didn't "win"
some time ago. Quit acting the age of that old
Comment of mine
on FCC 98-143. Two little tykes of 6 years got
their amateur
radio licenses (Novice and Technician) plus got
their pictures
taken with a kindly, grandfatherly-looking VE
who "administered"
their tests. It was on the ARRL web page news
some time ago.
LET IT GO.

You intimated at the time that they must have cheated
in order to obtain their licenses.

IIRC, Dave, the claim was that the children could not
have obtained their licenses honestly - that they
must have gotten some "help" from the VEs. Len
claimed "very mild fraud" in the whole process.

Of course Len wasn't there, doesn't know the people
involved, and bases his opinion on what some teacher
told him about the reading skills of a six-year-old.
That the children might have passed the tests honestly
was dismissed by Len.

btw, a six-year-old earned her General a year or so ago.

How the example of the six-year-olds translates into an
age limit of 14 has never been explained.

The fact is that if someone gets enough right answers on
the written test, they get the credit.

You stated that you didn't believe that "CHILDREN"
should be permitted to operate amateur radio stations without
supervision.

That would include folks like me as a Novice. With my homebrew
transmitter.

Why would Len want to keep young folks out of ham radio?

Here's one possibility:

Back in 1996, ARRL had Readex conduct a survey of 1500 amateurs.
One results display showed the support for code testing in
relation to the age of the amateur responding to the survey.

The group that showed the most positive support for code testing
(85%!) was the *youngest* age group.