Old June 2nd 05, 07:00 AM
K4YZ

From:
on Tues 31 May 2005 15:55

wrote:

Heh heh, I've heard the particular lament of "we can't get
these (darn) kids to LISTEN to us!" for lots of
generations
and have read of the same thing in books printed before I
existed. :-) It's a VERY common parental angst.

Gee, Len, since you've never actually been a parent, it sounds
like you're talking about something you've never actually
done..

Gee, Quitefine, I HAVE. [too bad for you...]

You have been a parent, Len? That's news - you've told us
all about your life and never mentioned that.

Hello? You have failure to comprehend what I wrote?

No, I understood it well.

Of
course you've failed. Tsk, tsk, tsk, OTHERS have written
and said for decades that "those darn kids just don't
LISTEN to us!" OTHERS have written and said that. :-)

And you agree with them - even though you have no experience
as a parent. You're lecturing others on things you have no
real experience with.

So, Jimmy/Quitefine, ARE YOU A PARENT?

Suppose I am, Len - would that cause your behavior to change in a
positive way? Or would you simply use that information to make fun of
me?

I suspect the latter.

And why is parenthood some kind of "essential" in radio?

It's not. But when you lecture the newsgroup on "young'uns in ham
radio", your lack of experience is relevant, don't you think?

Lennie's not a parent, if we follow his own logic.

Lennie has repeatedly insisted that if I did certain things in the
Armed Forces, then I would be quick to brag about them and discuss them
readily. Since HE does it, EVERYONE must do it too.....

That's not the truth, but that's what Lennie has insisted.

Therefore, that being the case, and Lennie having failed to
discuss his successful procreation and subsequent rearing of offspring,
we can conclude that it never happened.

You are very wrought-up on this subject of "parenting."
Why? Why for discussion of amateur radio policy?

Look at the subject line.

Lennie claims to be an engineer, but can't seem to make notes of
the "details"...

Oh, I see now...you want to REVIVE and old newsgroup
argument of 1998 and hope to "win" this go-around again!

I won before and I'll win again. But it goes back farther than
1998 and continues into the present.

For example, back in 1996 you wrote:

"I've always had trouble with integrating "youngsters" in what is a
primarily _adult_ skill/technique recreational activity."

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...?output=gplain

That pretty much says it all - *you* have a problem including young
people. The surreal part is that you're neither a parent nor a radio
amateur.

Lennie doesn't let little things like "no practical experience"
keep him from expressing an "expert" opinion on a great many range of
issues.

Your answer indicates what many have long suspected: that you
expect to be instantly recognized as an expert without having
to meet the requirements for a license.

It was suggested to Lennie that he take some of this energy and
submit a proposal to the FCC to allow "engineers" either a free pass
or some sort of a "bridge" exam to get licensure.

Never did it.

Tsk, tsk. A radio does NOT operate by different laws of
physics because some government agency designates it as
"amateur."

So what? "Physics" isn't the only consideration.

And Lennie's been asked to please show where ANYone, other than
him, has made said issue of it...

No answers.

Using cell phones as a "hobby" is wrong.

Says who?

Semi-private communications is a social group act,
not a hobby.

What in the world does that mean?

Tsk, Tsk, TSK! Jimmie implies he has "parenting skills" and
yet he is BLIND to what modern-day teeners DO in their peer
group activities?

Your writing is simply unclear, Len.

It's also assinine.

Would Lennie suggest that because people drive cars and trucks for
"business" that no one may then drive, maintain or collect them for a
"hobby"...?!?!

Lennie has AOL...Just put the word "cell phone" into the "hobbies"
search criteria of the "Members Directory" and watch the hits flow in.

"TXT-ing" is a modern FAD amongst teeners, the ability
to send
little notes to another, hardly any restrictions, and much
easier to do than the old way with actual paper.

Guess what, Len - people of all ages do text messaging. It's
not just teenagers. For example, if I know a coworker is in a meeting,
and needs some piece of information, I'll send a text message rather
than call. Much less intrusive and the information is already in text
form. Been doing that for *years*.

Once upon a time the idea that "teeners" using spark gaps and old
Model T ignition coils for "communications" would be nothing more than
a fad...

You sound like a powerboater trying to ruin the fun of
sailboaters.

Jimmie, this is a newsgroup for amateur radio policy.
Sailing
and power-boat driving is quite another newsgroup.

It's an analogy, Len. Sailboats used to be the dominant way
of water transport. Navies used sail, cargo ships used sail,
fishing vessels, explorers, etc. Just like Morse Code.

Now sail has all but disappeared, except in a few special applications
and in "hobby" (pleasure) boating.

Just like Morse Code.

See the analogy?

He can't see his an...uh...nose. How can he see an
"analogy"...?!?!

Drop the discussion, Jimmie.

You previously wrote:

"I have NO desire to "tell you what to do,""

but now you're doing just that!

You're telling me to shut up, Len.

And this kind of behaviour is unknown from him...?!?!

Jimmie boy,

There you go again. Why do you call names like that, Len?
Is there a reason you can't just call me "Jim", the way I
call you "Len"?

That might make you his "peer", Jim...

Can't have that!

STOP bringing up that six-year-old argument which
(I perceive) you tried to use as some kind of "character
flaw."

There you go, telling me to shut up. Again.

I bring up the issue because it shows your true attitude about
"young'uns in ham radio". (see the subject line). It's right on
the subject.

He wasn't a Ham at a young age, ergo NO one should be a Ham at ANY
age...

Two little tykes of 6 years got their amateur
radio licenses (Novice and Technician) plus got
their pictures
taken with a kindly, grandfatherly-looking VE
who "administered"
their tests. It was on the ARRL web page news some time ago.

And you said there must have been fraud involved. You accused ARRL and
the VEs involved of dishonesty. Right here. That's a fact. Shall I
repost those claims?

LET IT GO.

Why? So the truth is ignored?

So Lennie can quit getting his nose rubbed in yet another of his
fallicies.

Fun fact, Len: Recently, a six-year-old earned her *General* class
license. Code test and all. It was on the ARRL webpage.

Our local club recently added two new licensees...both 9....No
record, but yet more evidence that there ARE "young 'uns" entering
Amateur Radio.

73

Steve, K4YZ